Miton was a multi asset fund management business, in debt to a bank.
Graham Hooper, Gervais Williams and Ian Dighe identified an opportunity to add single strategy funds to the existing multi asset funds.
We established a 5 point plan :
1. Raise capital from existing and new shareholders to pay off the bank & get control of the business
2. Launch Gervais Williams income fund as first single strategy fund
3. Recruit two key roles – Head of UK Sales and Head of Marketing. We were fishing in a small pond as we identified five [only] people who we thought capable of delivering the sales we needed, and six to give us the new and improved marketing skillset we needed.
4. Create a PR plan so the market was clear about our strategy and, initially, Gervais’ investment process. In 24 months, we went from nothing to nearly 100 mentions/month in the press.
5. Recruit new single strategy fund managers and fund management teams.
This resulted in taking the FUM from c£1bn to almost £5bn by the end of 2018.